Friday, March 22, 2013

Powhiri

Yesterday after lunch, room 19 and 18 went out on the front field and did a powhiri. It was really cool to learn about how the Maori greet their Manuhiri. In case your wondering the manuhiri are the visitors.When I Hongi a boy it felt like I was going to kiss him. I felt a bit nervous hongi all the people. I even hongi Mr Cottrell! The boys from room 18 had to do a Wero. The hardest bit was you can't smile!!!! I had to muffle my laughs into my knees. The song we sang was Haere mai. It was a very different experience for me.


2 comments:

  1. To Greta i also liked the powhiri you did well for your first time.From your frined kyrah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greta - I miss all the Maori legends that I learnt at your age at school. In Australia the children learn a little bit about the Aboriginal dream time and some of the culture but not as much as New Zealand children learn about the Maori. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete